Thursday, April 29, 2010

On That Second Job

Number 2 in my 5 Steps to Acquiring a Dream had to do with adding a second income. Currently, my wife is out of work and is sort of looking for a job. I say 'sort of' because with our situation at home. We have two girls and the youngest one has medical issues that require my wife to be available for doctors and therapist appointments at odd times. Therefore, it is hard for her to do a 9-5 job.

Before her current unemployment, she was a part time tutor at a company that went out of business. It was perfect for her, because she could set her hours weekly. She was also in charge of scheduling, so was able to make sure she was taken care of. Well, it has been nearly a year now since she last worked and while we are still afloat, we will need to find some more income.

With that in mind, I have been contemplating what we can do for extra income. Then I looked at all the stuff we have around the house, and I thought maybe we could sell off stuff we do not use, such as books, toys and baby items. There are several options out there such as eBay and Craigslist, but what to do with books.

I did a quick search for selling used books and found Powell's Books. They buy used stuff and will send you prepaid shipping labels. You just have to box the stuff up and take it to the USPS. Now the price is not too great and they don't take all books. It is kind of hit or miss. So far, I have made a grand total of $5.50 from 4 books, but it is a start. I have some more boxes to go through, and am looking for more sites to try out.

All, this money is going straight into my PayPal account and will eventually be used to payoff some debts early. Also going into the PayPal account is money from tech toys that I have been selling on Gazelle. That is another decent site, that is comparable to eBay without the hassle of going through the bidding process. I have made some decent money by selling old cellphones and PDAs.

No comments:

Post a Comment